Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Back to Programs


According to the Admissions and Occupancy Policy, each adult member (18 years of age and older) of a tenant family must contribute eight (8) hours of community service each month within their community or must participate in an economic self-sufficiency program.


Community Service is defined as the performance of voluntary work or duties that are of public benefit and that serve to improve the quality of life, enhance resident self-sufficiency or increase self-responsibility in the community.  All community service must be performed within the Burlington city limits.  Community service may NOT include political activities (may include attendance at Resident Council meetings, assisting VISTA volunteers with passing out informative flyers in your community, attending VISTA/BHA staff sponsored workshops in your community). Economic Self-Sufficiency program is defined as any program designed to encourage, assist, train or facilitate the economic independence of residents.  The programs may include but are not limited to:

  • Job search, readiness or training programs
  • Skills training programs
  • Higher education (Junior college or college)
  • GED/high school diploma classes
  • Apprenticeships (formal or informal)
  • Substance abuse or mental health counseling
  • English Proficiency or literacy (reading) classes
  • English as a second language classes
  • Budgeting and credit counseling
  • Any type of class/program that helps a person move toward economic independence

You may choose to complete eight (8) hours of community service each month or be involved in an economic self-sufficiency program for eight (8) hours each month.  You may also choose to do a combination of the two to meet the monthly eight (8) hour monthly requirement.

You will not be required to perform community service if you are:

  • 62 years of age or older
  • Blind
  • Disabled (must provide current documentation of disability from medical provider, doctor must specifically state that your disability prevents you from participating)
  • Employed
  •  A caregiver for a disabled BHA resident or for the children of a BHA resident who is completing their community service requirement (caregiver for person with disabilities requires a doctor’s note that states you cannot participate due to the care rendered to the person with disabilities)
  • Participating in a welfare to work program (documentation of compliance required on a monthly basis from your caseworker)
  • Receiving assistance from TANF/WFFA (Work First) and are in compliance with job training and work activities requirements of the program (documentation of program compliance required on a monthly basis from your caseworker)
  • Participating in an economic self-sufficiency program or enrollment in GED, university or community college (documentation from Admissions/registrar’s office of current class/school enrollment is required each semester)

Your file will be reviewed prior to re-certification and if you are not in compliance with community service, you could face EVICTION.   The housing authority has the option of terminating your lease at re-certification if you are not in compliance.



Useful Links
Upcoming Events
Neighborhood Networks Center
US Dept of HUD
City of Burlington
Web Master Info / Copyright 2005 Burlington Housing Authority / Email / Updated Oct. 18, 2011